Tuesday 10 July 2012

Spiders, storms and shark dissections

We have what seems to be a juvenile rain spider living in our shower. I am far too terrified to go anywhere near it to 'dispatch' it, so I have to just stare at it to make sure it doesn't get too close when I'm washing. Also, Amy found a large black-widow in her trousers! Strangely, I'm less scared of the black widow because the shape of them is pretty cool - I really like the shiny, black body! Obviously my fear of spiders is completely irrational.

The juvenile rain spider is like a small, long-bodied and brown house spider, and it seems to like wiggling its legs at me from over the top of the bathroom tiles. Terrifying!



We've had another string of no-sea days due to 'storms'. I thought here in Africa, when someone said "storm", they would mean something epic, but no, it's basically a very blustery day with the occasional bout of rain. Apparently we have storms all the time in the UK then! However ,the waves do look quite treacherous and I'm glad we don't have to go out there. There is a stand-by trip tomorrow at 11, whether it will be too full for me to go on is another matter!

I finally got to grips with my introduction and wrote a modest 950 words, it still needs some work, but I'm happy with what I've written so far!

Today there was a shark dissection of 3 puffadder shysharks, and a couple of pyjama sharks. It was really interesting to see, but I got a bit 'overwhelmed' when someone cut open the shark egg (mermaid's purse) and some really disgusting fluid came out - much like melted raspberry ripple ice-cream. I started to feel really dizzy and had to run away! Instead, I helped Anna by filming some of the volunteers making temporary sleeping bags for the homeless, which was a lot less gory.

No comments:

Post a Comment