Friday 13 July 2012

Amy's Birthday and FREEZING FRIDAY 13th!

Wednesday was Amy's birthday and I managed to make a surprise chocolate birthday cake for her! Everybody said it tasted nice at her birthday braai, so I must have done something right... I also helped Anna make a lovely trifle with vodka jelly and amarula custard... it turned out very tasty, if a little on the alcoholic side of things. A good few people came, and there was plenty of food to satisfy our appetites. I decided to have a steak, which tasted fantastic! I love grilled food - nice and healthy, but amazingly tasty.

Thursday was a relatively lazy day. We had planned on going out on a 'volunteer exclusive' trip at 2pm. Having gotten into our swim gear to dive in the cage with the sharks, and packed our cameras and towels up, we headed outside to go to the boat. There we were out on the terrace, facing the sea, and the boat we were supposed to be on drove past us out for the trip! Suffice to say, there were some quite rude gestures aimed at the boat as it drove past our chalet without us. Apparently, the trip had been re-scheduled at the last minute, and left an hour before it was supposed to! To top it all off, they saw a pod of bottlenose dolphins (pictures can be seen here, at the bottom of the Marine Dynamics blog for yesterday: http://www.sharkwatchsa.com/en/blog/category/513/post/1174/daily-trip-12-07-2012/), which makes me SO jealous of all those guys, and even  more bitter that I missed the trip!

Today is the coldest day so far of all my time here. We went out on the 9.30am trip, only to be greeted by freezing winds, rain and even a brief hailstorm. The hailstones were about the size of peas! Glad I was in the cabin for that one... But when I came back, I went on a nice run which warmed me up nicely.

Unfortunately today is also the last day of one of my favourite volunteers, Jenna from Canada. I'll be heading over to the volunteer house in a bit to say goodbye, but I'm not going out with them because I've got to get up fairly early to go to Hermanus... although that plan might change after a drink or two (Although I'm not really planning on drinking either; what a granny I've become!)! I'm also looking forward to popping over to Ed and Anna's house to grab a slice of leftover birthday cake after my tea... tasty!









No comments:

Post a Comment