Monday 23 July 2012

Final Countdown

So I've got just under two weeks left here in South Africa... I'll be gutted to leave such a beautiful, amazing and inspiring place. I've managed to get plenty of data for analysis and today is the day I'm going to try my best to tackle that analysis head on, starting with some graphs!

The past few days have been absolutely beautiful, which is what is making it even harder for me to comprehend leaving. Yes the air is still quite cold, but the sun has been glorious and any rain has been short-lived... yesterday on the way back from Cape Town, we saw a huge complete double rainbow, the inner rainbow being the brightest one I have ever seen. Everything here is so spectacular and dramatic, I don't think anything the UK has lives up to it to be honest, except maybe in Scotland!

So yes, I spent the day in a shopping centre in Cape Town, attempting to find presents for family. Somewhat unsuccessful (everthing I intended to get was either not there, or priced extortionately), I ended up just buying myself some new headphones (the old ones decided to break halfway through a run), and the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) because I love the series and have heard good things about the books! Also I finished The Hobbit ages ago, so I thought I'd get myself some new reading material for the long journey home. After shopping, I went to see The Dark Knight Rises. It was amazing! Much better than Prometheus. I had some South African wine gums, they taste a lot nicer than UK ones, possibly through several of what we would consider 'illegal' flavourings, but still, very nice!

After leaving the shopping mall, we went to pick up Ed's mum from Cape Town airport. We were all very tired at this point (especially Ed's mum after such a long journey) so much of the return journey was spent in silence. I lay back in the car, admiring the views of the mountains on the way home and wishing that I had another good few weeks here in Africa. I promised myself that I would return as soon as I could, after finishing my Master's and learning to drive (and also trying to earn a bit of money so as to afford coming out here again!).

So here's to a last couple of weeks in South Africa... may the weather be as lovely as it is today, and I hope to get a decent amount of analysis done before I head back home! I will try to keep updated on here with any shenanigans (and there might be some more now Ed's mum has arrived, there are talks of horseback safaris and wine-tasting!).

No comments:

Post a Comment